Rehabilitation is most important following surgery. Movement of the body needs to be restored to its optimum and so specific joints and muscles must be exercised carefully and regularly.
Post-surgical rehabilitation may be needed after a fracture or a joint replacement such as a hip and knee joint, or after spinal surgery.
Physiotherapy treatment may involve:
- Pain and swelling management
- A graded home exercise programme to move joints and strengthen muscles involved (core muscle exercises are an important inclusion)
- Help and advice re activities of daily living
- An aquatic exercise programme
- A Pilates exercise programme if appropriate
- A graded return to usual activity levels/sports.